PDA

View Full Version : Rapper ready to put Welsh hip-hop on map

08-20-06, 01:04 AM
HIP-HOP fans had better get ready because Wales is coming to make a mark on the industry that it won't forget.

Rapper Humurak D Gritty promises to make the rest of the UK music industry sit up and realise that there is more to Wales than rock bands.

Widely touted as one of the UK's up-and-coming talents, the 24-year-old has a fun message with his new single They Ain't Ready which comes out on Monday.

He said, "It really is the final warning before the album comes out that I am coming and people aren't ready."

The song sees Gritty compare himself to Cassius Clay before rapping, "They ain't ready, they can't imagine Cardiff being this messy."

The underground hip-hop scene in London is slowly getting used to rappers from Wales making an impact, but Gritty is nonplussed at their relative ignorance.

He said, "They seem to forget that Cardiff is a major city and that we are the same as anywhere else that has big cities."

The video for the single has been picked up by MTV Base and Gritty says it proves he has a lot of different musical sides. He's also very happy with reviews that have been averaging four out of five.

The single is a precursor to Gritty's debut album, produced by Wales' Secondson.

He said, "It is a self-titled double album and it should be coming out in February.

"It is really the story of the 24 years of my life to this point.

"There is a bit of everything on the album, some dark songs and some songs to entertain and make people feel better."

Rapping about everything from poverty to inner-city depravation, and with a slew of punchlines, the album has been a long time coming for Gritty.

Rapping since 19 and professionally since 21, after releasing his first EP Rags to Riches in 2004 he won Best MC at the Welsh Music Awards.

But he has been biding his time, travelling the country building a fan base after support slots with the GLC and the UK's undisputed home-grown rapping talent of Skinnyman, as well as a string of his own dates.

He said, "I really didn't want to come out with an album with no fans and no-one knowing anything about me.

"A lot of people seem to forget that you have to do the work, they think it's all done by the label.

"But you still have to get out there, perform and talk to people.

"You have to be friendly to people if you want them to buy your music."

Over the past few years he's been made welcome in more than 70 cities, picking up friends and fans on the way.

After moving to Cardiff from Leeds with his mother and sisters when he was 13, the rapper said he only seriously started looking at hip-hop in his late teens.

First loves belonged to Biggie Smalls and Tupac, but as a British schoolboy he soon discovered that these American gangster rappers didn't have the same experiences as him.

He said, "When I was younger I thought I related to it all.

"But when I was 17 I started to hear some of the British hip-hop and I realised I didn't relate to it all. It was around then that a lot of people in the UK were realising that there's a lot to say with hip-hop here.

"When I first started there were so many rappers with American accents coming out of people from Wales or England. Now people are using their own voices."

As the summer comes to a close Gritty is organising a host of gigs around the country as he plans to get his music out to even more people.

He said, "When I get in front of the crowd I get energised, and it doesn't matter if it is 20 people who want to listen to my music or a roomful."

They Ain't Ready, by Humurak D Gritty, is out on Monday

chinaman
08-20-06, 10:45 AM
damn watchin big brother i could hardly under stand wat dat boi was sayin, he's frm wale, dono how im gona understand 2 dere rap.

DJC
08-20-06, 03:36 PM
^^^^^Lmao!! word!

I know i shoudlnt really judge it just from the place he is coming from, but im sure ima hate this...ill just have to wait till dude drops somethin though!

hopefully hes not just anotha spoof group like goldie lookin chain...cuz them dudes are from wales and they are embarecments!

Sco101
08-20-06, 03:40 PM
^^^^^Lmao!! word!

I know i shoudlnt really judge it just from the place he is coming from, but im sure ima hate this...ill just have to wait till dude drops somethin though!

hopefully hes not just anotha spoof group like goldie lookin chain...cuz them dudes are from wales and they are embarecments!

lol i bought goldie lookin chains album

DJC
08-20-06, 03:59 PM
^^^^haha!

Did u like it? i think them dudes are just a piss take!

Sco101
08-20-06, 04:36 PM
there is sum funny songs on it

doodydean
08-26-06, 07:16 AM
^^^^^Lmao!! word!

wordddddddddddddddddddd haha